(Photo courtesy of Alex Fritz)

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

2012 EDGEWORKS HALLOWEEN BLACKLIGHT COMP.

Sidney had a weekend break after the Northwest Boulderfest comp and then climbed again at the Edgeworks Blacklight comp on October 27th. Sidney loves climbing in the dark at this local and always has a great result. She always used to love wearing a costume but this might be the last year for that as she is getting older and is thinking about not wearing one next year. That makes me a bit sad but I can’t force her to wear one. Well, maybe I can. We’ll see.

As usual, Sidney crushed in the darkness but not without giving us both a scare first. About 15 minutes into the session, she fell on a climb that I thought she would normally make. She came up to me holding her left arm and said she hurt it. I wasn’t alarmed until she said she heard something pop! I’m knocking on wood but Sidney has been able to avoid any serious injuries until now and this momentarily freaked us both out. Right away I told her to shut it down and to put her street shoes on. She didn’t like that idea and asked if she could just traverse to see how it felt. After a while she said it felt better and wanted to do some really easy climbs. Before you knew it, she was back to her normal climbs. Her arm would be sore for a couple of days but other than that she was fine. I’m guessing she didn’t quite warm up enough before tackling the hard climbs and her body told her so. Lesson learned.

There ended up being almost 160 youth competitors at the comp so flashing your routes was a must or you would run out of time. Sidney started out slow but climbed her best in the 2nd half of the session and ended up with 3,675 points. There were 80 female youth climbers and Sidney ended up with the highest score. Cierra Graham had the 3rd highest score with 3,295 points and Lia Messinger had the 4th highest score with 3,160 points. Sidney improves her score every season at this comp and this year was no exception as she upped her score by 610 points. I’m assuming there will come a point where she won’t improve her score but it hasn’t happened yet. Next year I guess she’ll aim for 4,000 points.
Melina, Sidney, Makenna and Cierra before the start of the session. What are they dressed as you ask? I have no idea. (Photo courtesy of me)

No comments:

Post a Comment